When I was writing that last post I was confused because I couldn’t copy text from the article I was linking to.

Clicking and moving my mouse across the text did nothing: there was no indication that I had selected anything. Similarly, double-clicking on a single word didn’t select it.

Eventually I saved the article to Instapaper, and copied from there

After initially posting it, I noticed that the URL contained the string “amphtml”. I removed the amphtml/, and the page worked normally.

AMP is Google’s “accelerated mobile pages,” a way for them to control URLs instead of the owners controlling them. At least, that’s how it appeared at first. Clearly that can’t be the case for a page like this that’s purely at the Washington Post’s own site.

But it’s a bloody annoying state of affairs, and makes for a very bad web citizen.

Status

I knew going In to the West End on the Saturday before Christmas was crazy. But first I couldn’t get on to the Piccadilly Line platform. And then, they’re queueing outside the Lego shop!

(Actually things aren’t too crowded so far.)

Status